Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Driving to Quartz...

I finally got to Quartz Mountain on Monday...and all the memories came rushing back. It is my fourth summer here and it is just as beautiful as I remember. Out of the plains rise these old granite mountains (actually hills, but who's counting?) and you can see them from miles and miles away. This chain of mountains is among the oldest in the U.S. and I can only imagine their splendor when young. The color is a lovely red/pink color with bits of green for good measure.

I always come in the back entrance when coming from Elk City. And I always see the sheer face of this guy. I will climb it someday....but not today...or tomorrow.

It is wheat harvest and I usually miss seeing the combines doing their job...maybe I'm here early or harvest started later...I don't know...but I was excited to them working

So the title song from "Oklahoma" sings about waving wheat sure smelling sweet and later in the song we sing about watching a hawk making lazy circles in the sky. Well, how fitting this photo has waving wheat AND a hawk! He wasn't acting too lazy though...I'm sure he was looking for food behind that combine. I'm happy to be home.

P.S. I swear I didn't rig this, because I had my ipod on shuffle...as I was crossing the state line from Arkansas to Oklahoma..."The Surrey with the Fringe on the Top"  started playing. And if you don't know...that's a song from the musical "Oklahoma." It made me feel like I was supposed to be here.

Chantry

No comments: